Tuesday 24 May 2022

The Kitbashes: Ork Trukks (Part Deux)

Woo!  Two posts in two days.  I'm on a roll.

Here we have Velvet overseeing the painting process.  I like to build my kits in sub-assemblies that can easily be painted before final assembly.

Alrighty, first up, the cabin.  The biggest change I made was not putting in the pintle-mount for the gun and wrecking ball, as seen in this beauty by sulfhydryl on DakkaDakka:

I wanted to have the option of either putting in a gunner or a passenger like this nob.

I trimmed the floor on the passenger side down and added a piece of plasticard to make it nice and level.  It also added a little extra height that made it a bit easier to mount the gunner.

In some builds I used treadplate instead.  These are from Plastruct, and again you should be able to find them in hobby shops that carry model railroads.  Or you can order from them direct:  https://plastruct.com/

After I trimmed the piece to fit and glued it down, I drilled a bunch of holes for rivets.

There are tons of different ways to make rivets.  This is my favourite for orky rivets, as I don't have to deal with tiny cast rivets or slices of rod pinging off into the warp every time I try to pick one up.

These rivets end up looking kinda rough, which is fine for orky vehicles.  Not so much for Imperial vehicles.  My thinking is that the nice smooth rivets are done by grots with actual riveting tools and the beat-up ones are done by enthusiastic ork volunteers with whatever blunt tool was at hand.

I also trimmed this piece off the cabin back for a little variety as at the time of building this I had four trukks being built.

I replaced it with a glyph plate.

I made a variety of magnetic weapon mounts out of scrap bits.  The main thing is to have the magnet positioned at a consistent spot from one cabin to the next.

I think that this one looks suitably ramshackle.

I may have gotten carried away with the whole magnet thing.  Not only are the heavy weapons magnetized where they attach to the mount and the gunner's hands, but the gunner's arms are magnetized as well.

Here we have a magnetized 'eavy shoota.  

Rokkit launcher.

Scorcher.

Spear gun.  I eventually replaced the spear heads with ones from some grot spear arms, shown here.

Twin-linked shootas.

Harpoon gun.

A different weapon mount cobbled together out of scrap.

I think that this weapon mount may have been scavenged from a pintle mount.

This weapon mount was obviously scavenged from some Imperial vehicle as it still has a bit of an Aquila showing.

The last big modification to the cabin involved the back wall.

Part of the back wall rests on top of the bed.  But since I was making the bed removable, something needed to be done.

Use a saw to carefully cut the bed along the red line.  The circled rivets will likely need to be shaved off too, depending on where the cross-braces on the frame extension ended up.

Cut and cleaned up a bit.

Glue the cut piece to the back wall.

I glued on a couple of .040" x .125" pieces so that it will rest on the frame.

Here you can see the assembled cabin back and a lengthened bed.

I'll get into making the lengthened beds in the next post, as someone is informing me that it's past their suppertime.

No comments:

Post a Comment